It’s another Saturday, the last Saturday of April 2016. It’s Spring time and many people are celebrating better weather (though it’s a bit chilly and dreary today here) and spending time outdoors with family, cookouts, and picnics. Or maybe going out to a club or having dinner at a nice restaurant with a group of friends.
And then there’s another group of people, each of us celebrating our Saturday night’s alone, apart from the crowds and noise, and in our own ways. Welcome to my Saturday night; an Introvert’s Saturday Night.
- 6:00pm have nightshirt on.
- 6:05pm let Maggie outside. Stay inside the garage so neighbors don’t see me in nightshirt. Feed Jonnie Katt so he can eat in peace without Maggie. Hold and pet the boy while he purrs.
- 6:20pm or thereabouts, Maggie comes back inside, tongue hanging out, hot from running all around the yard, feet wet and cold. Jumps on me so I can get the full effect of the cold, wet feet.
- 6:23pm give Maggie her supper.
- 6:30pm Google what shows are on the three channels I get on TV tonight. Notice there’s nothing worth watching.
- 6:32pm check Facebook.
- 6:35pm drag out my Art Journal and colored pencils or pens and doodle.
- 7:30pm notice my doodling is not improving and looks like child’s play but don’t care. I’m OK with never being an artist. It’s my doodle.
- 7:35pm pick out a DVD to watch. Tonight, it will be Spenser for Hire, Season 1, Episode 2. After all these years, Spenser and Hawk are still cool dudes. Maggie snuggles up close and goes to sleep.
- 7:37pm check Facebook.
- 8:30pm let Episode 3 play of Spenser for Hire while reading a chapter of Unstuffed, by Ruth Soukup. I make notes and highlight text. Maggie snuggles against me and snores.
- 9:30pm hope is renewed that I can get rid of “stuff.”
- 9:31pm check Facebook.
- 9:35pm feeling hungry and open the bag of White Cheddar Popcorn I brought home, accompanied by some ice cold Diet Coke.
- 11:35pm wake up after having fallen asleep with my hand in the popcorn. It’s sticky. At the same time I notice my nose itches and wipe my sticky fingers across my nose.
- 11:40pm turn the TV on to see who’s on Saturday Night Live. Watch for a few minutes. If nothing they say makes me angry, I’ll watch for maybe half an hour. If they make me mad, like making a joke about God, then I’ll turn it off.
- Midnight turn off the TV and start reading whatever book I’m reading from my Kindle.
- 12:15am check Facebook.
- 12:17am resume reading.
- 12:30am out of popcorn and fall asleep, if I’m lucky.
And there you have it. My wild and crazy Saturday night. And I like it like that.
If you’re single and alone, how do you spend your Saturday night?